What is Aerospace WSQ ?
The Aerospace Workforce Skills Qualifications (WSQ) is a national skills training system developed by the industry and the SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG). It maps out the skills needed for a job in the Aerospace MRO industry and the training you need to enter it. The system also shows how you can continue with skills upgrading to progress in your career in Aerospace.
- Sets skills standards and qualifications
- Guides design of training curriculum to suit adult learning needs
- Does not require formal qualifications as entry criteria
- Shows clear pathways for skills upgrading and career progression
- Recognises your existing skills through assessment and WSQ certification
- Is accepted by employers in the Aerospace MRO Sector
How Aerospace WSQ helps you
- Tells you your employer your current skills level
- Tells you the training and skills you need to acquire
- Helps you in your career progression
- Helps you move into the Aerospace industry
How Aerospace WSQ works
The Aerospace WSQ framework awards qualifications for the Technician level in the Aerospace MRO industry. Technicians comprise a sizeable majority of the industry, with some 1,300 needed annually to meet the industry manpower needs. Trainees who take the full set of modules or units with specialisation in any of the six MRO sub-sector will qualify as Technicians and receive the WSQ Higher Certificate in Aerospace, a national qualification awarded by SSG.
With a competency-based framework, Aerospace WSQ makes training easier and more effective through:
- Practical assessments on skills needed at the workplace
- Bite-sized training courses that are flexible and developed for adult workers
- Certifications to show that the worker has the required skills and knowledge for a particular part of the job
- Qualification to recognise that the worker has obtained the required skills and knowledge for the complete set of tasks for the Technician in the chosen Aerospace MRO sub-sector
- Establishment of strong external training providers
|Pick and choose one or more modules to obtain the skills and training that you need|
|Choose from a range of units in any MRO sub-sector to upgrade your skills in one or more units matching your current or future job|
|Obtain a WSQ Higher Certificate in Aerospace for Technicians, by completing the full set of units, specialising in any one of the six Aerospace MRO sub-sectors:|
- Aircraft Maintenance (Mechanical)
- Aircraft Maintenance (Avionics)
- Component Repair and Overhaul (Mechanical)
- Component Repair and Overhaul (Avionics)
- Engine/Engine Component Repair & Overhaul
- Modifications and Conversions
Op for direct assessment and certification of your existing skill type (where applicable for experienced workers) without undergoing training, via the Assessment-Only Pathway. Assessment can be conducted at the workplace or in a similar environment, making it as hassle-free and flexible as possible
Once you complete a training module and pass the WSQ assessment, a Statement of Attainment (SOA) will be awarded. When you have accumulated sufficient SOAs, you will be awarded the WSQ Higher Certificate in Aerospace for Technicians in the corresponding MRO sub-sector of specialisation.
Financial Assistance for Aerospace WSQ
The SSG Training Grant help companies to defray training costs by subsidising the course fees.
To qualify for such funding assistance on course fees, your staff must:
- Be a Singapore citizen or Singapore Permanent Resident
- Have attended at least 75% of the training
SSG TRAINING GRANT
With the strong economic recovery, the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) and the SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG) are focusing on efforts to expand the national Continuing Education and Training (CET) system to support the vision of capability and productivity driven growth laid out by the Economic Strategies Committee (ESC).
A new support for approved Continuing Education and Training (CET) courses under the Skills Development Fund (SDF) have been introduced. Employers will be able to leverage on more funded courses for Professionals, Managers, Executives and Technicians (PMETs), to reflect the changing workforce profile, with PMETs making up more than one in every two in the workforce.
The revised funding rates for courses pre-approved for funding under the SDF will take effect from 1 December 2010, as shown in Table 1 below. Funding for approved PMET courses will no longer be limited to Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs).
Table 1: Revised funding rates for SDF pre-approved courses
with effect from 1 December 2010
|Types of Courses||Funding Component||Courses Targeted at Rank-and-File level||Courses Targeted at PMET level|
|Certifiable||Course Fee Support||80% of course fee capped at SGD7.00 per hour||50% of course fee capped at SGD15.00 per hour|
|Absentee Payroll Support||80% of hourly basic salary capped at SGD4.50 per hour|
|Others||Course Fee Support||SGD2.00 per hour|
The changes will not affect older low-wage workers who are eligible for the Workface Training Support (WTS) scheme which took effect on 1 July 2010. Employers who sponsor older low-wage workers for training under WTS will continue to enjoy enhanced course fee and absentee payroll funding.
There is no change to the existing application and claim process. Applicant companies should continue to apply for course fee and absentee payroll funding in the SkillsConnect system. The system will automatically apply the higher funding rates under WTS for eligible older low-wage workers.
For further enquiries on SSG Training Grant, click here
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR SSG TRAINING GRANT
The general eligibility criteria are listed as follows:
- Compaines are registered or incorporated in Singapore
- Supported cost components (such as Course fees) are fully sponsored by companies
- Trainees are employees who are either Singapore Citizen or Singapore Permanent Resident only
- Trainee have achieved at least 75% attendance and have sat for all examinations if the course leads to certification
How you can sign up
You can approach any WSQ Approved Training Organisation (ATO) for course details and sign up with them. Air Transport Training College is currently one of the ATOs offering training and assessment in Aerospace WSQ.
Please contact us for information on course dates and details:
Tel : 6603 6633
Email : [email protected]